Sunday, January 27, 2013

Week 2, Home #2!

Hello all! Another week has flown by and it was amazing! We are now in full show mode which means for most of our 8-5 day we are singing or dancing.  But there's still plenty of time for fun!  So far, we have learned a majority of the full cast vocals and they are so cool! For those of you who don't really know what a UWP show is like, it's not like theatre, but more like a rock concert from around the world.  I've never felt more comfortable singing than I have in the past 2 weeks.  It's pretty simple and the altos sing low, which is even better for this tenor-singing girl!

On Tuesday afternoon, we had this group thing called Viva Las Vegas which was not what it sounds like! Yes, there was a live blues band and card games, but the catch was that we had to play this card game in complete silence and when you moved tables, the rules switched, but you couldn't talk about it! It was very frusterating for some, and amusing for others.  It was to show us how to communicate when language couldn't be used and it also showed how people reacted in situations where things were different and they couldn't get clarification on it.  It was a very interesting lesson!

Wednesday had to be one of our busiest days so far! not only were we doing song and dance, but we took the official cast picture! It was crazy! But I bet it turned out great, and if I get a digital copy, I will be sure to post it.  Then that night we had what is called a Culture Jam.  It was where different people from their countries gave a little "presentation" if you will of the various cultures in different ways.  Norway did a speech presentation, Japan sung a traditional song, Mexico told us a ton of fun facts.  I helped with the planning of the US and we did a mash up of songs and showed the stereotypical American Dream.  It was kinda difficult working with about 30 of us, but it was so much fun! You can (hopefully) check it out here!  Below are some pictures as well!

Yup, USA was  BIG group











We didn't have enough guys, so a few girls pulled it off!
 
Mexico!

Belgium explained how the languages worked!
                                                         
Friday we went on our first group Community Impact (CI as we call it, and I hope you remember that, because I will be using it a lot!) My group of about 60 people went to the Florida Baptist Children's Home.  They offer a home for children who don't have one.  But they live in a family environment with approx 6 brothers and sisters and a mom and dad.  It seems like a good group.  We got the pleasure of weeding and raking the grounds and clipping the hedges.  The hedge clipping was the best.  We also sorted through a ton of food donations.  We did a lot and made the grounds work a lot easier for the keepers.  Since they were pretty easy tasks, I was able to really talk with the little group I was working with which happened to be 3 2nd semester students and 1 first.  I really got to know them and also was able to get some advice and learn about what to expect.  Like I said, friendship is so easy here, and I couldn't be happier.

Then Friday night I was moved into a new host home because Rod and Jan were going to see their daughter for her Birthday.  I was sad to leave them, but excited for a new experience! I am now with a single woman, Peggy who has 5 grown sons.  She is hilarious and very sweet.  My roommate is Montana from Canada and she is fantastic! She and I are so similar, so it's great.  She loves One Direction too, so it's a good fit :) Yesterday our host mom dropped us off at Universal Studios (she wasn't very interested in coming, but really wanted us to go!) and we were off to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter!  (Another reason why I like Montana, she loves HP!) It was quite magical.  It was also the perfect way for us to get to know eachother.  Throw two people in a strange amazing new place together for a day, it's bound to happen.  And not only was there HP in this park, but there was a Marvel comics section, a classic comic section and a Dr. Suess section! We went on every roller coaster and even on an adorable Cat in the Hat ride! Our favorites were the amazing Harry Potter interactive one through the castle and the 3D Spiderman one! We were pooped by the end of the day, but it was SO worth it!
Hogwarts!

Montana and I in front of Hogwarts
 Matching beds!

Spiderman 

Hogsmead


Sunday, was very relaxing.  We went to see Les Mis the movie for our host mom who had yet to see it and then out to dinner.  We also did a bit of shopping.

I'm so happy right now! But it's all thanks to all of you! So thanks thanks thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Loving all the stories! Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, now I was able to leave a comment, but I can't seem to create a profile name. Oh, well. It was me. :) Thanks again for keeping up the blog.
    Grant

    ReplyDelete