Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Lakeland FL Week 1


Hello all! So after a terrible start to the week of having a mysterious stomach bug a lot like food poisoning, I have already had some pretty great adventures!

First, let me tell you about where I'm at.  Our "home base" is Florida Southern College.  It's a beautiful college located right next to one of the many Lakes in the town (hence the city's name).  The people are nice and  the weather is so much better than snow! Anyways, my class is now getting into swing and we have been learning all about what it will be like on the road! Sounds crazy, but I'm sure I can do it.  But in between all that, me and my new found friends have had some down time to adventure!

First we took a tour around the campus....


 Then we took a 3 mile walk around the lake and saw an alligator! How crazy is that?! We were all VERY excited


Next, the family that has opened their homes and hearts for the next three of my five weeks in Lakeland.  Rob and Jan.  They are very kind and very social! Fun to talk to.  Rob is from New Zealand and Jan is from Canada.  They are more "international" than my roommate and I! Speaking of, Anna is 27 and from Seattle, WA.  She is one of the Promotional Reps for the road, so that means she's setting up the cities that we travel to.  Thank goodness for them! Going back to my host parents.  Today Rob told me a bunch of New Zealand history, and it's really interesting! The food is also amazing! Jan really has a touch in the kitchen.  She was also wonderful when I was sick.  I couldn't have asked for a better situation for such a sucky one.  I haven't taken photos with my whole host family yet, but when I do, I will put them up! But we are getting a 3rd roommie on friday, so then we will be complete! So, for now, a picture of my room and their adorable puppy Bella who has teeth "only a mother could love" as Rob says.  

2 comments:

  1. Wow, such a clean room! ;-) Great post honey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh hey. Tell your host dad That I facilitate Family Group Decision Making meetings that originated in New Zealand with Maori people and see if he knows anything of them.

    ReplyDelete