Monday, October 8, 2012

My Mission!


So, in case you haven't heard, I'm about to embark on a fantastic journey that is Up With People.  "What is that?" You ask? Allow me to introduce you to my mission.

UWP is a global education organization whose mission is to bridge cultural barriers and create global understanding through service and music.  I would receive an unparalleled global education due to the unique mix of international travel, community service, cultural immersion, performing arts, and an education program focused on leadership development, communication and global awareness.   As a part of a “cast” of young leaders, I will tour 18 - 20 communities across two or three continents.  While in each community, I will live with local host families sharing culture and participate in 8 – 12 hours of service-learning (giving back) plus 4-6 hours of educational workshops, and then perform in UWP’s 2-hour musical stage production.   It’s quite the experience wrapped into one!  I picked Up With People because I felt that while I was prepared to go to college and continue my education, I really wanted to do something that made a difference as well.  My Uncle Grant and Aunt Gretchen both toured with UWP, and when they took me to their alumni reunion last summer, I knew that UWP was exactly what I needed to do! It will fill my performance need while also allowing me to do so much mission work around the world with people from many different countries and cultures.  

I also need some help from anyone and everyone!

My total is $17,000.00 for a semester.  This covers my travel, housing, and other necessities that are needed on stage and the road.  Some things I've been doing to raise money is I sell knitted hats, and I make custom silverware (see previous post: Mal-Ware Silverware).  I've been charging $10 for a fork/spoon set and $8 each for serving spoons. They make great gifts or to pack in your lunch or take on picnics, and it helps save the planet at the same time!  I've also been working a ton and even left for the summer so I could earn more.   I also babysit and house sit if any of you need that!

Now let me tell you where I would like YOU become a part of my journey.  I am planning an online auction fundraiser.  People can view my website and bid on various items.  Would you help me out with a donation?  I’m looking for anything! Paintings, jewelry, baked goods, babysitting hours, gift certificates, something knitted or crocheted, gently used items like books on CD, etc.  Anything you think will sell!  The donation deadline will be October 19th.  The Auction will open October 22nd and close November 4th.  The auction website is www.mallory6.webstore.com Feel free to share it with your friends and bid on items as well!  Email or call me if you have anything to donate :)

If you feel that creating or donating something doesn’t seem possible at the time, I am also looking for people to sponsor one day of my tour and in return I will send you a personal note from one of the cities I travel to and fill you in on my situation.  I have saved over $7000.  My tour length is 155 days.  If 155 people agree to sponsor me for a one-time payment of $65 or more, then I will have enough to reach my goal for one semester.  If I raise enough money, I will have the opportunity to extend my tour for a second semester for half price.  I understand that money may be tight, so if this seems like too much, that’s okay! Any amount is greatly appreciated, or even just your support and prayers. Support has gotten me this far!  Please take a minute to view my blog that I have been writing about fundraisers and trying to keep family in my loop.  It will also be where I keep an online trip blog so you can all see what I am up to! The site iswww.mallorykidd.blogspot.com.  


Thank you so much for taking the time to learn of the incredible journey that I am gearing up to take! I really can’t wait to start making a change!  

Love and Gratitude,
Mallory

mallorykidd@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment