Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Seattle, Washington

For our second week in Washington we didn't really change environments and for Marie and I, we didn't even change host families! We are now actually based in Seattle for the week which was super cool because it means an extra week in such an awesome area.  On Monday since we really didn't have to travel anywhere we got to explore downtown Seattle in typical Seattle weather.  Packed in our big scarves and boots we armed ourselves for an adventure at Pikes Place Market.  I spent my afternoon with Jimi (MT) and Luis (Mex) wandering the 4 floors of crafts, clothes, food, flowers, antiques and so much more.  It is also where the famous throwing fish act is and that was fun to see as well.  There is also the 2nd largest gum wall in the world which was disgustingly impressive.
Tuesday we had a BTS for a school and in the evening Gwen, Marie and I went out to dinner with her daughter and great-grandson.  Her daughter is just like her and it was so much fun to get to know her as well.  Marie and I also had our own little adventure finding a Target to do some last-minute in state shopping.  Something I've learned on the road is how hard it is to get around without a car or google at our fingertips constantly.  

Yeah, that's all gum!





Wednesday was our last class presentation for the anti-bullying workshop.  I was with Bert (belg) and Leslie (AZ) and we had a great interactive class.  Then in the afternoon we had a BTS for all the kids in the middle school.   That afternoon for internal time we had a business workshop on how to handle presenting UWP.  I’ve found that after 6 months I’ve really refined my technique on presenting the program and really redeemed myself from last semester’s mock TV interview and got great feedback on that.  At dinner I ate with Miguel and this is the first time we’ve been able to really talk since I got my internship.  I got to ask him a bunch of questions and he asked me some as well.  I’m super excited to start that, in case I haven’t mentioned that enough yet!

Thursday was SA and in the evening we had a CI with host families and alumni and sponsors which was really great except that the site that I was at must have forgotten because there was no one there when we got there.  Luckily we were a very small group with only 2 host families, but it was still odd.  I got to finally meet the alumna Holly who I would live with for the weekend while my uncle Grant and aunt Gretchen come to visit. She was nice enough to drive us home when our site ended up not working out because Gwen was volunteering at a local youth group.  Did I not say how active this lady is?

Friday was a full internal day.  We did a great cast meeting about getting to know each other on a deeper level.  We had to wear blind folds and just sit in small groups and talk about deeper questions like what’s something you are really proud of or something you hide from people.  For lunch we had a potluck with some 50 guests that were either host families, alumni or sponsors.  After lunch we had a huge wrap up of our last 11 weeks here in the US by sharing stories.  I still don’t think people quite know what to expect when it comes to Mexico and you can tell that many people are nervous about it. That night I switched families to go to the alumna’s house, Holly.  She is crazy but I automatically felt like I’ve known her for a long time.  That night my Aunt and Uncle flew in so they came over to talk as well as another one of their cast mates, Jeff,  and his partner Kevin we spent probably 4 hours just talking by the fire about all their UWP adventures as well as mine and how it's changed and how it is still the same.  

Saturday was host family day.  We started off by me going to Zumba with my aunt and Jeff and Kevin.  It was weird because it was like hip hop zumba.  Then we went out to brunch where there was much more UWP talk.   Then we went back to Jeff and Kevin’s house where we just relaxed.   In the evening we went out to dinner where we met up with my cousins as well which I was super excited about! We have always been super close and I don't get to see them often because of the distance. The restaurant looked over the port and the huge Ferris wheel and had great seafood.  
Cousins! Jeanna, Janelle, Elise

The whole family (UWP and real)


Sunday was one of best shows in by far the most beautiful stage we've performed on.  But it was 3 floors of utter confusion and stairs so we all got a great work out.  It was my first real show as an intern and it was full! In the afternoon, my cousins came to rehearsal and the oldest one even interviewed! I was super excited about that because she was the one who we thought wouldn't want to do it.  The show was awesome, and I'm sure all the different alumni and family members in the audience really helped.  Michael J's (WI) mom traveled with Grant and Gretchen so they were all very excited to meet him as well.  That was something him and I have slowly bonded over (that and our Game of Thrones marathon on the bus ride over) 
87A with Michael and I

Holly! 



 Then we went straight from the facility to the airport to leave for Mexico! We slept on the airport floor until we were able to check in.  Off we go to Mexico! 

No comments:

Post a Comment